When people come to look at your car, they will probably make up their minds within the first few seconds. This is based on their first impression of the car. Making sure your car is showroom ready will increase your chances of selling it.
Before you advertise your car, make sure it looks clean and looked after. This goes beyond just taking it to the car wash. Here is a to-do list to assist you when selling your car:
• Wash and vacuum your car and consider having it detailed – meaning a full valet service.
• Make sure your car is both mechanically sound and free from dents, dings and scratches. If there’s a small ding or scratch, mention it in your online description right from the start.
• When a prospective buyer goes for a test-drive, they can visualize the car as theirs – make sure it’s clean inside.
• Wipe the brake dust off the wheel covers and treat the tyres with a tyre gloss product.
• Thoroughly clean the windows (inside and out) and all the mirrored surfaces.
• Wipe down the dashboard and empty the ashtrays.
• Have all your maintenance and service records ready to show to prospective buyers.
• If your car needs a service or even a routine oil change, have it done before putting it up for sale.
• Have your mechanic inspect your car and issue a report about its condition.